Why I left Fashion Nova : The New Me

Everyone knew me as the girl who loved Fashion Nova. Most of my clothes came from Fashion Nova. I especially loved their midi dresses. Their clothes are inexpensive, but the quality of material was very poor. Funny thing is, I noticed that and kept buying from there. I believe it was because I liked their prices and the way their dresses fit me. They brought out my curves for sure. I got many compliments on my outfits I had bought from there. I thought I was in fashion heaven, but…something changed.

I was scrolling on instagram and my newsfeed was full of Fashion Nova. I headed to YouTube and all of my suggested videos were about Fashion Nova. Then, I scroll down and see a video by The School Affluence . The video was titled “How Law of Attraction Changed My Life“. I suggest you all check it out NOW! Once I finished watching that video, at that moment, I realized that I wanted my life to be a certain way. I wanted to travel, look fashionable, build a brand for myself and my future. I knew the vision I wanted in reality. The Fashion Nova lifestyle was more of a “hot girl summer” vibe. I wanted Hilton Head. lol I had a love for fashion from a very young age. My designs screamed sophistication, so I knew exactly what I wanted my life to be like. I knew I loved the professional, mature, lady-like fashion, but I had fallen into “I must show my curves”, “These heels are not high enough”, “Is my dress tight enough?” mindset. Although, I knew I looked good on those things, I knew that was not how I wanted to dress for the rest of my life.

I literally deleted all of my photos where I had Fashion Nova clothing on off of my Instagram profile, unfollowed all of their pages, packed up all of the items I had bought from them and decided to sell them. Many were shocked. I got so many questions such as “What happened?”, or “Why don’t you like them anymore?”. I answered with my first post stepping into my new and IMPROVED wardrobe captioned “Not the first. not the last”.

Michael Kors and Steve Madden started me on my journey to looking more mature. I went shopping the next day. I stopped by Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, J.Crew and others. I was determined to rebrand myself. I didn’t care about who could see my assets. I’m now focused on my assets. Bet you didn’t catch that. I need to look the part for what I want to attract. I am demanding respect and professionalism. Fashion Nova was not going to give me that.

I hope you all understand what I’m talking about here. – Transitioning into a mature woman.

I thank you for reading! Much Love!

18 Comments

1. September 25, 2019 / 9:45 am

Wow that’s very brave of you! It’s very important to stay true to yourself. I stopped buying fashion nova too when I realized that their pants and categories weren’t geared toward women who look like me, meaning tall. My pants were always floaters. They still haven’t done anything about it. I currently shop at pretty little thing now and i love it because there’s a category for everyone and the quality is great!

• Jessica A
      Author
      September 26, 2019 / 2:29 pm

Yes. Thank you. I’m still finding myself, but I decided… why not start here? ASOS separates their categories by height as well.

2. September 25, 2019 / 2:22 pm

I really liked the spin on this. Fashion Nova is so overrated, but I agree the prices must be what keeps people coming back from more. I was surprised to hear that cheaper brands like Rainbow use the same vendor as Fashion Nova. May God Bless you on this journey of transitioning into a mature woman.

• Jessica A
      Author
      September 26, 2019 / 2:30 pm

Yes. I know exactly what brands Fashion Nova uses and all I can say is… We have to do better. Even thought its cheap and LOOKS good. doesnt mean it is. The quality is very poor.

3. September 26, 2019 / 11:11 pm

Changing brand names is a cool way to refresh your style. Fashion Nova is definitely overrated. I’ve never shopped with them but I’ve gotten a lot of gifts. The quality is low but saving money is what I do lol. Great blog and congrats on your growth!

4. Mimi
    September 30, 2019 / 12:37 pm

All of the brands you named are found under my fave… One stop shop…Macy (an A MACY OF COURSE) they should bottle air in the store and use it to revive me if I ever pass out. Lol

• Jessica A
      Author
      September 30, 2019 / 1:00 pm

haha your comment is everything! I have an Aunt who LOVES Macys and she would request the same. I recently went to the biggest Macys in the World in New York. I nearly passed out myself! It’s huge!

5. October 1, 2019 / 8:51 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing away with a certain style and reinventing yourself. Kudos to you for making this transition!

6. October 1, 2019 / 12:00 pm

I love it! I am not a fashion person but Fashionova is a lot more like the Hot Girl Summer vibe and I am aiming for the sophistication look myself! That’s awesome!

7. October 1, 2019 / 2:05 pm

I am glad you stayed true to YOU!

8. October 1, 2019 / 9:25 pm

I quite often do that myself, I like to improve my wardrobe and update it regularly. out with the old and in with the new i say!

9. Kelly Martin
    October 2, 2019 / 2:45 am

I think it’s good to update your look. You have to do what works best for you.

10. October 2, 2019 / 8:21 am

Aaaahhhhh….I have always heard of Fashion Nova but I had never gotten feedback about it, surprisingly. I am glad you got yourself a much better option!

11. Nigar Rahman
    October 2, 2019 / 11:14 am

Our life should be go thru a updating process.You have taken the right decision for yourself!

12. October 2, 2019 / 11:23 am

Bravo Jessica. Takes a strong woman who is confident and full of grace to recognize and admit a need for change and “maturity”. Love your dress and Micheal Kors is always classy.

Joy at The Joyous Living

Retweeting

13. October 2, 2019 / 5:39 pm

Rebranding is a great way to introduce your new self. Such a brave decision! Inspiring!

14. Frédérique
    October 3, 2019 / 2:27 am

Ah that’s so cool. Any changes in life can be a bit scary but without change we would be the same all out lives. That sounds so boring to me. Change is the way to go by!

15. sharon wu
    October 3, 2019 / 8:49 pm

Oddly enough, while I see fashion nova pop up all over my Instagram feed and beyond on other social channels, I have never bought anything from there! I think that switching up styles every now and then keeps life fun though, so I’m happy to hear that you are making changes that are right for you 🙂